Sunday, February 1st, 2009
So Phil re-visited his resolutions on his blog, so I decided I better do a self-check too. Here goes:
1) be more patient with the kids. Tap into my inner child and try to learn how to be silly and get into their imaginative play;
Not going so well. I am finding being a SAHM more difficult than I anticipated with the constant demand on my time (I mean seriously how many times a day do the kids and pets need to eat and pee). I timed it, I am never able to sit for more than 3 mins at a time. Very difficult when you are roughly the size of a manatee.
2) finish my dissertation requirements and defend;
Had to admit to myself and everyone else that I just can't do it all, so I have requested a year's leave. I will still work on my stuff but don't want the pressure of having to produce.
3) read more for pleasure. It really does help my mood and patience;
So far so good. I have a long queue at the library and as things become available I have Phil get them for me - the library is right next to his work. So far no fiction but some good Anthony Bourdain books and one on classical homeschool education. All the fiction I want is, apparently, popular and I am pretty far down on the "hold" list.
4) after the baby is born, exercise more. I really need to get back in shape because 4 pregnancies in 5 years has wreaked havoc on this ol' body;
I spent a good deal of time looking on Amazon for dance and exercise DVDs that I can do with the kids - they were totally into the Bollywood and Latin dance ones so I will probably get some of those and we can all groove together.
5) drive less - walk more. This may be difficult in San Antonio as things are so spread out;
Not really leaving the house that much these days, and I don't want to walk too far in case that whole "labour" thing happens.
6) get a job I like;
Think I may have found one or two things that I can do part-time in the evenings or late afternoons after Phil comes home from work or on the weekends.
7) decorate the new house and get some new furniture that is less college kid and more sturdy and family friendly (and washable);
I have a whole Powerpoint presentation filled with furniture and linens and art for each of the rooms. Now just to get that job so I can actually buy the stuff.
8) spend more time on my hobbies - knitting, crochet, I would like to learn to sew. Learn more about herbal remedies. Take up new things - I think I want to learn how to make infusions like alcohol, vinegars, oils, etc;
I mentioned to one of my new friends that I wanted to learn how to sew and thought making pillowcase dresses for Cordelia would be a good starting point. She also wants to make the dresses so she is coming over tomorrow so we can figure it out together. I am almost done with the pair of socks I am making Phil, and I made two little newborn hats (one boy, one girl) for when Bumpy arrives.
9) spend more time taking care of myself. I always put myself last and it needs to stop. I am starting to believe that to be a good wife, mother, friend, person I need to look to my own needs first;
Oh please, this isn't going to happen....total pipe dream.
10) not get pregnant again :)
Still pregnant (really I am surprised) so doing really good on this one.