Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 13 - Homemade bird food

So, the kids and I were racking our brains trying to come up with a non food related post - I promised P that this wouldn't just turn into a recipe blog. However, I had on hand:

the leftover oatmeal from the day before,

some pork fat from Sunday's dinner (the only night we eat meat)

and copious amounts of crunch peanut butter which the kids have decided they no longer like (the crunchy part, that is, not peanut butter which is still a beloved food). I remembered seeing a recipe for bird food using some of these ingredients, so I decided to wing it (no pun intended) and ground up the fat, oatmeal, peanut butter, some walnuts and raisins.


I then cut down an old milk jug and made it into a feeder. I also filled a muffin tin with the leftover food so I can just add more as needed.

Do not know if the birds like it yet, because it has been raining for days, and I haven't put it out yet.

2 comments: