Sunday, January 3, 2010

Introduction

I have been asked why I want to subject myself to a year of homemade goods. My dear husband thinks that (perhaps) I have a superiority complex. Well, let's think about that for a minute...yes, I believe most homemade goods are superior to store bought. Sure, the quality may not be as consistent, the stitches as straight, or come with a cache label, but they are made with love and consideration. So, yes, I will cop to a superiority complex in that I make what I consider superior products for my family. Actually, the reason is simple: I have been feeling directionless since becoming a full time stay-at-home mom in July 2008, and putting my dissertation on hiatus. I wanted to set a goal for myself that was apart from the children, but could include them.

A few things to keep in mind while reading this blog:

1) I am in the writing stages of a Ph.D., but that is on hiatus because my time is spent being an M.O.M.
2) I have 4 children (all 6 years old and under), 2 giant breed dogs, and 3 cats, in addition to my husband.
3) We homeschool.
4) We eat very nutritious, but simple meals, a la Nourishing Traditions, so raw milk, organic milk, farm-fresh eggs, organic eggs and veggies play a large role in our diet. We are primarily vegetarian, but do eat meat sometimes - I was a strict vegetarian for 15 years so we still eat mostly this way.
5) I am originally Canadian (born and raised in Montreal, only moved to the states after University) but now live in Texas, so be prepared for some funny spelling, wording, and ingredients.

I hope you will enjoy coming along with me on this this journey, and maybe even be inspired to try to make something homemade!!!

Jennifer

3 comments:

  1. I'm ready to ride your coattails... this is something I have been wanting to do but didn't formulate anything quite so elegant. You totally need a bloggy button for people who want to play along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to ask Dawn how to make one.

    ReplyDelete